Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Alternate Beautiful Blocks Quilt

Alternate Beautiful Blocks Quilt

I like to complete several quilts when I design a pattern, utilizing different fabrics to show some of the versatility of the pattern. For the Beautiful Blocks book, I had a group of friends who were willing to test the instructions, so I decided to make another quilt with them. Instead of the light colors of the original quilt, I decided to use a black background. I also used a different border and eliminated the mock cathedral window cornerstones setting so as not to interrupt the black background between the blocks. This has the effect of looking like the block designs float on the black background.
These colors are kind of unusual for me, but I like how this turned out. I actually got the inspiration for the colors by putting a picture of the layout of the original quilt in Photoshop. Then I shifted the hue for the non-green colors and this was close to the result. The outer border is 3" wide, where there is a 1" width strip of green pieces between 1" strips of black. The corners are quarter circles, just like those used in the block on the bottom row. I am still in the process of finishing the quilting on this quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment